Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hair Growth

Hello guys!!! I wanted to discuss hair growth with you guys because that is the number one thing I get asked about!


First things first; hair goes through growth phases and that's why sometimes it seems to grow a lot and sometimes it doesn't.

  • The Anagen phase is the Active phase.  This is when new hair is formed and pushes the hair that has stopped growing out. During this phase, hair grows about 1 cm every 28 days. This phase lasts 2-6 years. Some people have a long anagen phase and some have a short Anagen phase and that is why some people have difficulty growing their hair past a certain length.
  • The Catagen phase lasts for about 2-3 weeks. This is when growth stops and the outer root sheath shrinks and attaches to the root of the hair. This forms what is called a club hair.
  • The Telogen phase is when the hair is at a rest point. This phase usually lasts for about 100 days. Now, the hair follicle is completely at rest and the club hair is completely formed. If you were to pull out a hair that is in this phase from your scalp, you would see a solid, hard, dry, white material at the root.


Now that we have a little hair background, lets talk supplements!

Biotin is a hair, skin, nails vitamin and is what I recommend the most.
Vitamin B 12 plays an important role in hair growth! My favorite part of B12 is the much needed additional energy throughout my day.
Folic acid- HERE is a link I found informative on why we need folic acid especially for the hair growth process.
You can find any of these things at a drug store, or grocery store.

Lets talk shampoo! Washing your hair is actually damaging to it. I know most of you can't go a day without washing your hair but if you can throw it up in a bun for a few days, and use some dry shampoo; your hair will thank you! I literally go 7-10 days without washing my hair. My hair is so dry that if I did wash it every day, it'd probably all break off, so I'm not saying you have to go that long. Everyone's hair is different and I suggest just doing what you can.
Many shampoos on the market have an extremely acidic pH. Your hair has a neutral pH between 4.5 and 5.5, so it is important to use a shampoo with a pH as close to that as you can. Garnier Fructis has a pH of 3.41, yikes! My best advice is to do your research before purchasing a shampoo. An experiment you could do is buy pH strips from your local drug store and test the shampoos in your home.You'll probably be surprised. Lastly; please, please, please be sure your shampoo is sulfate-free. Sulfates strip your hair of essential moistures and also haircolor.


Alright guys, lets keep that hair healthy and it will grow! Thank you so much for reading and don't forget to email me any questions you would like for me to answer here on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment